background

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

To My Little Stinker

Dear Dante,
Sadly, today, at exactly the time you were born, one year ago, I was running through the Atlanta airport switching planes headed to Phoenix for work.  As I snuck into your room early this morning to say "Happy Birthday" before I left, you lifted your little head and smiled as you do every morning when I come to get you from your crib. I picked you up and you snuggled right into me, relaxed as could be and completely unaware what a special day today is for you.  That's the only thing keeping me from feeling any more terrible than I already do for not being there today to share it with you. Your little personality is developing more and more each day and quite frankly, if you did understand, I think you just might hold it against me! Hey, at least I showed up last year, right? I think that's what really counts in the grand scheme of things, don't you?

As the title of this post suggests, I call you "Little Stinker." Your big brother calls you "Mr. Stinker" and I promise you it is said with the utmost affection and rings true simply because you still wear diapers.  I will try and stop before it causes any complexes on your part, however, in the meantime, I know that I will always look back on your first year and remember what a sweet little baby you were. You have been easy going from the start and getting one of those precious little smiles out of you has never been too difficult.  You love to be tickled, play games and flirt with perfect strangers when we are out and about.  You have finally become a master at Peek-a-boo and are starting to do clap hands.  Your tooth count has been at a 6 for a while now and we're waiting to see when some more decide to pop up.  That being said, you use what you've got to chomp whatever you can. As soon as you got a taste of real food, you never looked back.  Garbage Pail may become your next nickname.  Speaking of food and personality traits, you seem to have inherited a little bit of what your Father calls "Jeckle and Hyde syndrome" that Mommy develops when she gets hungry.  As Grandma pointed out this week, you may not be able to use words yet, but you certainly tell us when you need something.

You are still a little hesitant on the walking front.  While you've begun cruising on the furniture and use the walker toys, you really just don't care to stand on your own and prefer to sit down and crawl when you need to get someplace.  Daddy and I, along with Ms. Judy, are perfectly OK with you taking a little extra time in this area.  The way that you are already getting into Dominic's things now makes me believe that he, too, is on board with your decision to delay. 

Dante, I am already a proud Mama when it comes to you and know that will always continue.  I wish you the same health, happiness and successful growth that you have achieved in your first year through all of your years.  You have changed the dynamic of our family by multiplying the love, smiles and silliness and I can never ask for anything more than that! Although, on second thought, a few A's will eventually be nice :-)

Happy Birthday Little Stinker!
I love you,
Mommy

No comments: