To my children,
As your Mother, I feel the responsibility to teach you various life lessons along the way. I know that the best thing will be for me to lead by example. I try very hard to do that every single day. Since having you in my life, I think a lot harder about my actions in knowing that I am setting that example. Even though you are still small, in some way, it all impacts you. I struggled very hard this week with the issue of boundaries. I know, in this case, that neither of you had a clue about it, so I am hoping that one day you will read this and take something from it for your own life.
Please always have respect for other people. Even if you may not like their choices, please learn to accept them for who and what they are and use it to help you better guide your own life. Even if you think you know better, the only person you can truly be responsible for is yourself. Even if you think your intentions are good, that person has the right to their own thoughts, feelings, actions. Be kind in offering advice and support when you can, but do your best not to cross the line. Trust me, I know, it's not always a clear one.
Be knowledgeable that there will be people in your life who will try to push your boundaries. They will not abide by what I have just asked you to. Stand up for yourself. Know your limits and what is comfortable for you. Do not stoop to their level. Rise above. I wish I could protect you from this, but I cannot. My biggest hope is that you will become strong and confident adults, with the sensitivity to have an awareness for the people around you.
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment