background

Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Morning at the Movies

I took Dominic to the movie theatre for the first time yesterday morning.  I have been wanting to take him to for a while but nothing had come out that I really felt was appropriate.  I was also worried that he might not have the attention span to sit through the whole thing, since he really doesn't like to watch full length movies on DVD at home.   When I saw the ads for the Winnie the Pooh movie, I knew it would be the right one.  It was only an hour and ten minutes in length, which worked out perfectly.  

Ahead of time, Dominic was very excited about eating popcorn at the movies (one of his favorite snacks, especially to eat with Miss Judy).  He also knew that it would be dark and there would be a big (demonstrated with hand gestures) screen.  He was very curious when we got to the theatre, about all of the things in the lobby and where we had to go for the movie to start.  Walking into the theatre, I could tell he was excited to see what it really looked like.  He was not very fond of all of the coming attractions, even though most were geared towards kids and just kept asking when Winnie the Pooh was coming.  About three quarters of the way through, he did end up on my lap instead of his own chair.  He, of course, finished his entire bag of popcorn. 

As we left the theatre and walked out into the light, I asked him, "So, how did you like the movie?" His response: "Mommy, that was awesome!"  Dominic has never used that word with me before for anything.  I didn't even know that he knew of it or what it meant.  Obviously, that made me feel even happier that he enjoyed his special treat.  And, on the way home, I got several recaps of what had happened in the storyline, all which were correct, so I guess he even paid attention too!




















(I know Dominic doesn't look too happy in this picture and that's because he wasn't.  He was way too distracted looking at what was going on all around the theatre on the screen and at the other kids that he was really quite annoyed with Mommy for wanting him to smile for the camera, but I just could not help myself!)

No comments: